top of page

Getting started

Our resident ‘settling-in’ expert, Laura Wintemute from Homestead Denmark, has drawn up a list of the most important things you will need to sort out before and immediately after your arrival in Denmark.

Photograph: iStock

Text: Laura Wintemute

So, you have finally landed on Danish soil. How are you doing so far? Just remember to breathe as I help you navigate all the necessary documentation. Follow this step-by-step advice on what documentation you need.

After you arrive

Step 1: Pick up EU/EEA Residence Permit

EU/EEA/Swiss citizens need to apply for a Residence Certificate at International Citizen Service in Aalborg, Aarhus, Odense or Copenhagen or at SIRI, the State Administration (Statsforvaltningen).

Step 2: Register for your CPR

Once your work permit is in order, you will have to make a trip to either an International Citizen Service (Aalborg, Aarhus, Odense or Copenhagen) or at your local municipal Citizen Service Centre (Borgerservice) to finalise the registration for your CPR. You will need this for everything, including opening a bank account, getting a Danish phone number, borrowing books from the library, signing up at the gym and taking out insurance. It’s your magical key to Denmark.

Documents needed:

  • Passport/national ID card with photo

  • Passport photo

  • Residence and work permit from the Danish immigration authorities (non-EU/EEA citizens only)

  • Proof of address in Denmark (signed leasing contract)

  • Marriage certificate

  • Birth Certificates of children under 18

Once you’ve successfully registered, the municipality will send you the physical CPR card in the post. This could take up to 2-4 weeks. In connection with your registration, you will be assigned a doctor (GP), which will allow you the same benefits in the Danish Health Care system as other Danish citizens. The name and address of your assigned GP will be written on your CPR card. Consider your GP as “The Gate Keeper” to anything concerning your medical needs. Everything goes directly through them. Your GP is your child’s paediatrician, optometrist, gynaecologist, and sometimes even your family therapist. If they can’t help you, they will refer you to a specialist.

Step 3: Apply for your Danish Tax card.

When you work in Denmark, you will need to pay income tax, and for this, you will need a tax card. When you visit the International Service Center to register for your CPR, you can also apply for your tax card at the same time, or you can complete the online form 04.063 on

Documents needed:

  • Signed work contract

  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)

  • Passport/national ID card

Step 4: Bank Account & Nemkonto

To be paid by your employer, you will need a Danish Bank account. There are many banks in Denmark to choose from; however, as with everything else in Denmark, you will need your CPR number first.

Documents needed:

  • Your passport/national ID card

  • Your employment contract (workers) or letter of acceptance from your educational institution (students)

  • Your CPR card

Since 2005, Denmark has had a special regulation that requires all those who live or work in Denmark to report a designated bank account known as a Nemkonto to the state. Nemkonto is a bank account, into which payments from your employer and from the state are made (e.g. tax refunds).

Step 5: NemID, Eboks & Digital Post

NemID is a common login solution for Danish Internet banks, government websites and some private companies. NemID is a secure log on to Internet services. e-Boks is your online mailbox for mail from public authorities (tax, pension etc..) You can apply for your NemID at your Citizen Service Center or your bank.

E-Boks is a secure electronic mailbox where you can receive and store documents that you usually receive in the post. e-Boks is free of charge. This can only be set up once you have your NemID. To create an e-Boks account on and follow the instructions or download the e-Boks app.

Digital Post is for all citizens in Denmark above the age of 15, registered with a CPR number must register for Digital Post. Digital Post includes any letters from hospitals, pension statements, information about state education support (SU), changes to housing benefits, replies to childcare applications, letters from the Danish Tax and Customs Administration (SKAT), etc. Your digital post can be accessed on either of two secure websites – or from your e-Boks.

141 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page